I have to be honest. The political climate today disgusts me. It grieves me. It makes me ashamed of the state of our nation. The slander and lies, the mean-spirited, vicious, angry attitudes of candidates on both sides is sinful. I’m ready to vote for “none of the above.”
I have never endorsed a candidate, and I won’t today. I don’t believe everyone who claims to be a “Christian.” Jesus said that you would know them by their fruit. Looking at the fruit of some of these candidates, I’d say they’re the product of a crab apple tree – the fruit is certainly bitter.
Never before have I seen so much pandering to Evangelicals. We must be the dumbest people on the planet. We believe without searching for the truth, which is the same reason there is rampant doctrinal error in the church. We lack foundational moorings. We lack character and, most of all, discernment. We are seemingly clueless regarding what is needed in a leader.
Don’t tell me who you are against; tell me what you are for. Don’t tell me it’s broken; show me how you’re going to fix it. We expect that from our doctors, dentists, and mechanics, so why not national leaders? Doctors, dentists, and mechanics are specific as to the problem and method of addressing it. Why can’t a politician be that way?
What are we teaching our children? It’s not good, but rather harmful and damaging to the future of our land. The candidates on both sides are teaching our kids ungodly attributes.
• Say whatever is necessary to get elected or get ahead.
• The way to the top is via character assassination. Be a name-caller. Spend money on ads or do it freely on social media and sling as much mud as possible.
• You can say whatever you want and lie and/or cheat your way to the top.
• Bend the rules, work the system, and you’ll be able to stand on the carcass of a once great nation.
• Statesmanship is no longer essential in politics. You just need money and a lot of mud.
• Promise people the moon and when elected give them a moon pie.
• Tell people there are no sacrifices in life. Someone else will pay for everything. This is why adult children live at home, don’t pay their bills, and won’t get a job. But who cares, it’s a “free” country, right?
• Don’t live in a world of black and white, right and wrong. Make everything dingy grey. Forget foundational truths. Bend and break the rules.
That may be what you want, but it’s not what I want in a leader, a nation, or a church. If we don’t get back to the basics, we are sunk. America is a non-prophet society. We need preachers and church members to stop kissing up to politicians and start crying out to the holy God of heaven who is our only hope.